Sunday, April 14, 2013

Hungry? In a rush? Skip the line!



Still waiting in line to order your meal? Some restaurants actually encourage you to skip the line...
Lines at fast food or fast casual restaurants can get long, especially during the lunch or dinner rush. If you're in a hurry, or you simply don't like waiting in line, there's a way to get exactly what you want and skip the line. In fact, some restaurants actually encourage it.

Order ahead with your smartphone
Numerous restaurant chains are rolling out order-ahead apps for smartphones. Chipotle sets the bar in terms of quality and experience. It's possible to order and pay from your mobile device, then cut the line at the restaurant, pick up your order, and enjoy your meal.

Link to Chipotle's app in Apple's iTunes app store: here

Who's there
Chipotle is at the vanguard, but numerous restaurants are in the process of piloting mobile-based, order-ahead apps, including: Jamba Juice, Wendy's, Panera Bread, and Dunkin' Donuts.

My recent experience
I'm a big fan of Chipotle, and apparently, half my neighborhood agrees with me. During lunch and dinner hours, the line can snake out of the entrance and onto the sidewalk. I have limited time for lunch and would prefer to get my food as quickly as possible so that I can enjoy my time away from the office. Even though I'm somewhat specific, some may call it picky, about my burrito bowl, the app is able to handle all of my custom requests.

In a recent example, I was able to order two very specific burrito bowls and pay before I left the office. By the time I showed up to the restaurant, the wait for those who did not order ahead was well over 20 minutes. I, on the other hand, was able to waltz up to the counter, mention my name, and take my order. The staff was efficient and pulled my order from a heated oven, which kept my food hot and fresh.

Step 1 - start of order

Step 2 - verify order

Step 3 - pay with credit or debit card

Step 4 - confirm order

Step 5 - done!

Conclusion
Using order-ahead apps from your smartphone can help you save time. If you're susceptible to up-sell, ordering ahead can also help you save money as well. Please comment below if you know of other restaurants rolling out order-ahead applications for smartphones.



photo credit: artfulblogger via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment